Tiphaine
Guillaume70
carles12
8 participants

Page 2 sur 2 Précédent  1, 2

Essay on Titanic - Page 2 Empty Re: Essay on Titanic

Message  carles12 Dim 21 Oct 2012 - 13:43

You've got lots of ideas !

I think my subject's not so bad I thought. There's a lot of thing to say ! Waw !

Yes, I think so. Testimonies will create a good impression. I love this subject ! I'll never see the film in the same way.

I've got my plan thanks to you. I think there is no more beautiful plan! pou

But just one thing.. Will The Wreck in the III not do repetition with The Sinking in the I ?

carles12

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  Colargol Dim 21 Oct 2012 - 14:57

Thanks...

To answer your last question, I'd say no, because the sinking is a very special moment, with lots of questions that are still to be anwsered, and the wreck is now THE last remains of Titanic, and it is the last thing that connects the present with the past. Very symbolical.
Colargol
Colargol

Masculin

Message  carles12 Dim 21 Oct 2012 - 16:17

Thanks a lot again for yours answers !

I'm going to start my essay. I have to give Friday to my teacher my first part.

Later, I'll give you what I'll write to have your points of view and remarks.

Thanks ! pou

carles12

Message  Colargol Dim 21 Oct 2012 - 16:39

Roger, I'll wait for that! pou
Colargol
Colargol

Masculin

Message  Joris Dim 21 Oct 2012 - 17:36

Good luck for you essay Charly pou I hop that you will have a good mark fort the BAC coeur

The beginning is good I think ! Good continuation cactus

Joris

et n'oublions jamais... coeur

Essay on Titanic - Page 2 Bannia10
Joris
Joris

Masculin

Message  carles12 Mar 23 Oct 2012 - 17:59

Hello everybody ! pou

That's it, I wrote my first under-part. The a) of I. This is a good start !

Read, and say me what do you think about :

The idea of the construction of the Titanic seed in the minds of Bruce Ismay and James Pirrie in 1907 at a dinner in London. Bruce Ismay is general manager of the shipping company White Star Line, while James Pirrie is a senior partner of the company Harland and Wolff, which, beyond the construction of Titanic, is in charge of all the ships of the White Star Line. Their main goal is to counter the rival company "Cunard Line" which launched the Lustania and Mauretania, which will soon figure little boats facing the Titanic. The two British companies share the market of transatlantic transport on North America’s lines. However, the construction of the Titanic would revolutionize his era. Indeed, the White Star Line wants to build three "super-ship" bigger, safer and more luxurious than any other in the world. Their service entrances are spread from 1911 to 1914. These ships will carry about 2400 passengers, and be able to accommodate 2000 tons of cargo with an average speed of about 22 miles. The White Star Line counts on the capacity and luxury facilities as well as the regularity and safety rather than speed. With these ships, the White Star Line may offer a departure from Southampton every Wednesday and arrived in New York six days and a half later. Thus was written the race of overgrowth.

Thanks ! pou

carles12

Message  carles12 Mar 23 Oct 2012 - 19:53

And this is my b) ! pou

The architect Alexander Carlisle and chief engineer Andrew Thomas sites define the general characteristics of three buildings. With 268 meters long and 45,000 tons, three new liners outperform the Lusitania and Mauretania. They will be the largest ships in the world and their names speak for themselves: The Olympic, Titanic and Gigantic. At the same time, Bruce Ismay, managing director of the White Star Line, engages in discussions with officials of the port of New York do not have platforms long enough to accommodate these new ships. One thing is certain; the construction of Titanic and her younger brothers did speak. May 31, 1911 in Belfast, the Titanic was launched in front of thousands of spectators. The completion of the transatlantic developments occurs only in March 1912. The tests take place on April 1. Two days later, the ship arrived in Southampton where it set sail for a week after New York. The construction of the Titanic was placed under the aegis of a revolutionary technology that would establish his dominion over all existing ship. The Titanic is so imposing that the coal reserves of 3 boats are needed for the trip, or 460 000 cubic feet in 12 tanks. Indeed it consumes 3.5 pounds of coal per foot travelled. During the construction of Titanic, security is required, with a hull double-bottom and 16 watertight compartments. The closing of watertight doors is made from the bridge by electric control. The ship can still float with 2 main compartments flooded. All major organs placed during the construction of the Titanic (boilers, machinery, turbine) are placed in separate compartments. In case of leak, 5 pumps in conjunction with 3 bilge pumps have a discharge capacity of 400 tons of water per hour. Moreover, smoke detectors and heat have been installed in all premises connected directly to a critical security center can intervene as soon as possible. Suitable for the construction of the Titanic, lifeboats capacity was 1178 people. With 16 boats (2 people in each of 40 and 14 to 65 people each) and 4 rafts Engelhard (boats in which 47 people could find locally). Everything leads to believe concretely, the construction of Titanic, its nickname, the "unsinkable" it would be happiness. April 4, 1912, in the port of Southampton, Titanic's crew completed the final preparations before the big departure scheduled for April 10.

carles12

Message  Colargol Mar 23 Oct 2012 - 21:20

Comme déjà dit en MP, à mon avis ceci serait mieux:

Des choses intéressantes, mais rien que les premières phrases ne font aucun sens en anglais, car tu as dû chercher dans un dictionnaire et traduire tes phrases directement... Je me trompe?

Bref, en version Colargol (inspiré selon le modèle Carles12), ça donne ça:

The main architect of the Harland & Wolff shipyard Alexander Carlisle and the chief engineer Thomas Andrews met to settle the main characteristics of the three future ships.
With 268 meters long and 45,000 tons, the three new liners would easily challenge the Lusitania and Mauretania. They would be the largest ships in the world and their names speak for themselves: The Olympic, Titanic and Gigantic. At the same time, Bruce Ismay, CEO of the White Star Line, startted negociating with the port of New York's authorities to build longer stands in New-York, the ones already used by the White Star Line not being long enough for the new ships.

On July 31st 1908, the contract was signed and the construction began on 16th December 1908. The Olympic, the first sister-ship was launched on 20th October 1910.

On May 31st, 1911 in Belfast, the hull of Titanic was also launched in front of thousands of spectators. The ship was then brought to another stand to be finished and equiped with the navigation and safety devices the most advanced at the time. After its completion, on April 2nd 1912, the brand-new ship was taken to sea to be tested. Ever single thing on board was tested and the ship performed even better than expected!

The Titanic was so big that the coal stock of 3 boats was needed for the trip, or 460 000 cubic feet in 12 tanks. Indeed it consumed about 250 tons of coal per day! Titanic was then thought an unsinkable ship, because as a matter of safety, a double double-bottom hull and 16 watertight compartments had been installed. The watertight doors could be closed directly from the bridge by electric control, or manualy with a control device on the door, or would even close automatically in case of flooding. The ship could stay afloat with up to 4 main compartments flooded! 8 pumps with a discharge capacity of 400 tons of water per hour could also be activated. Moreover, smoke and heat detectors had been installed in all premises connected directly to a security center that could intervene as soon as possible.
For what's more, the Titanic was even equiped with 20 lifeboats (4 more boats than what the law of the Board of Trade requested) with a capacity of 1178 people (we can notice that Andrews and Carlisle originally designed the ships with much more lifeboats, but the number was progressly reduced because the White Star Management thought the deck would be too cluttered, so they overruled the Designers...). And with the Marconi radio with a range of 500 miles, in case of any danger all the ships around would comme in a heart's beat, so no reason to worry about anything.

On April 3rd, the Titanic arrived in the port of Southampton. During the following week, Titanic's crew was finally transfered on board and the ship was loaded for her maiden voyage, scheduled for the Wedsnesday 10th April 1912...

Colargol
Colargol

Masculin

Message  carles12 Mer 24 Oct 2012 - 19:37

Thank you again !

My god, how could I do without you ?!

In fact, I think my sentences in french, and then, I look for missing worlds I don't know in the dictionary. And sometimes, it gives the "Charly's English" rire

Thank you again ! But I thought the ship could stay afloat with up to 2 main compartments flooded only ! I'm shocked, how could have sunk the Titanic thus ? (Oula... Je sais pas si ma question est très anglaise !)

I'm going to begin my c), and I'll give you it to correct my mistakes. pou

Thanks !

carles12

Message  Colargol Mer 24 Oct 2012 - 22:01

Toutes les réponses à tes questions sont dans mon MP ;)
Colargol
Colargol

Masculin

Message  Nicomurgia Mer 9 Jan 2013 - 21:53

Hello carles12,

I've just read your topic and I would like to help you too, but I see the last message was posted in October, and I wonder if it's not too late. Maybe not, since it is for your A level, and that should mean it is for the end of the year... Have you taken your exam? If you have taken it, how was it? Good?
Nicomurgia
Nicomurgia

Masculin

Message  Canard-jaune Mer 9 Jan 2013 - 23:46

Nicomurgia a écrit:Hello carles12,

I've just read your topic and I would like to help you too, but I see the last message was posted in October, and I wonder if it's not too late. Maybe not, since it is for your A level, and that should mean it is for the end of the year... Have you taken your exam? If you have taken it, how was it? Good?

Dear Great Nicolas, I'm affraid that this essay has been made few months ago... bise
Canard-jaune
Canard-jaune

Masculin

Message  Colargol Jeu 10 Jan 2013 - 18:31

Ah my dear Nicolas, I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you're too late; I already helped him a few months ago, and he already had his exams with his teacher (which he successfully passed by the way).
But thanks anyway for the support you wanted to offer.

I haven't spoken with him since, I don't know when he will come back...
Colargol
Colargol

Masculin

Message  carles12 Ven 22 Fév 2013 - 19:56

Hello everybody !

Now, I'm come back.

In order to answer to Nicomurgia and to develop what Colargol said, I didn't take my real exam in front of my real testers.
What I've had last time, and that is what colargol said, was just an easy oral test, with my notes under my eyes. This test was only in the first part.
My real test is for the BAC, Nicomurgia is right. Not for this year, but for 2014 (I'm only in "Première" in french).

And today, my teacher said to finish my file (she calls this "a file") at the end of March.
In my head, at this moment : "Oh my God, I just did my first part. Two parts to do ! Oh, wait, Colargol helped me last time. Go to titanic.superforum.fr !"

If Colargol and/or Nicomurgia would like to help me again, I say yes with pleasure ! You know more than me in this topic. I know for you it's not a real job, but you don't know how it's beautiful to have a good help in English ! I'm not very strong, and I want to progress.

Remember :

II) The mysteries of the Titanic
a. The Wreck of the Titan posted published just before the real story
b. The accident during the departure
c. Different strange facts

III) The legend
a. The movies made afterwards
b. The different associations
c. Titanic Superforum rire The Wreck

Thanks a lot again !

carles12

Message  Nicomurgia Sam 23 Fév 2013 - 2:20

carles12 a écrit:But just one thing.. Will The Wreck in the III not do repetition with The Sinking in the I ?

Good to see you here again carles12. You wrote that your English isn't very good, it doesn't seem to! In reply to your question asked some months ago, colargol has already replied but I thought I might add something: In English "wreck" can mean both "naufrage" and "épave". When Morgan Robertson called his book "The wreck of the Titan" he meant "Le naufrage du Titan", but here colargol was talking about the other meaning of wreck, "épave". Then it should be separated from the sinking, because it's definitely not the same. In the sinking, as colargol said, you will tell the chronology of the events that night, and in the wreck part, you will talk about the remains of the ship now at the bottom of the ocean.

I also thought you should change a bit the orientation of your first part because, the way you expose it right now, it doesn't seem to fit with your problematic, it seems to be superfluous. We all now it is not in fact, but you should change a bit the orientation of the first part just to show the testers it is really a reply to your problematic. Every part of your essay must be a reply to your problematic. But - hehe - don't worry, you don't need to rewrite the whole part. yeux It's just a little change to do, otherwise I wouldn't have told you.

I propose you to modify a bit the part in order to insist on the fact that the Titanic was intended to be the biggest ship of its time, that it required huge means of construction and that it sank on its very first voyage, causing the death of 1500 people. This is how it became so famous at first (see how you can catch again the problematic by changing just a few things in the title of your parts and paragraphs, and by adding a few sentences, just to show that yes, you are already replying to the question: "How did the Titanic become so famous?"). For example you could rename your part: "The tragic story of the biggest ship of the world" rather than "Chronology of the real facts". Your plan is good, most of the time all you need is change a few things just to take up your problematic again. One sentence can make all the difference. Saying that the Titanic was a big ship, that it sank on its first voyage is good, but adding that this is WHY it become so famous changes everything : it makes the link with your problematic. Here, I think calling your part "Chronology" is a bit dangerous because you're taking the risk of doing a dull recitation of the history of the Titanic, which is not what you are supposed to do. You see what I'm telling you? It's not a big deal, but I think it can really change a lot of things in your final mark because you will go from the irrelevant recitation to the relevant and good answer to your problematic. sourire

Otherwise, I can provide you a preface made by my friend Olivier Mendez for the french version of "Futility - The wreck of the Titan" to help you write the paragraph about the 1898 book. Tell me if you would like me to scan it and give it to you, and I'll be glad to do it. Good luck for the writing of your essay, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate, I would be glad to help. Really.
Nicomurgia
Nicomurgia

Masculin

Page 2 sur 2 Précédent  1, 2